About Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
We are a private, non-profit organization founded in 1913, whose purpose is to provide assistance and support through established programs in local communities throughout the world. The major programs of the Sorority are based upon the organization’s Five-Point Programmatic Thrust:
- Economic Development
- Educational Development
- International Awareness and Involvement
- Physical and Mental Health
- Political Awareness and Involvement
The San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Chapter was chartered on June 19, 1980 as the 661st Graduate Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Twelve women came together by linking hands with the community, civil rights groups, churches, educational institutions, social and business organizations – reuniting themselves in the true sisterhood of DST.
Members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. are college-educated women committed to excellence in higher education.
San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Chapter
- President – Sydney Sims
- Vice President – Priscilla Obodoagha
- Treasurer – Annette Jones
- Corresponding Secretary – Taylor Ashby
- Financial Secretary – La Yneeta Shipman-Mills
About The High School Recognition Program
- Research has shown that 68 percent of African-American students graduate from high school. Those rates are about 10 to 15 percent less than the graduation rate of white students. There has been significant gains in graduation rates for African-American students, but they still have the farthest to go.
- The purpose of this recognition is to acknowledge graduating seniors who have reached this noteworthy milestone, and who might not otherwise be recognized individually.
- Our goal is to intentionally focus on the positive outcomes of African-American students. This event recognizes and draws attention to needs of our minority college bound youth to continue their education.
Who Should Participate
- Although the focus is on African-American students, any graduating senior can participate. Each participant will receive a certificate of recognition and a Kente Cloth. Students with an overall GPA of 3.5 and above will receive a honor cord (must mail in a transcript showing proof of a 3.5 GPA to:
SJVA Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc
P.O. Box 11214
Fresno, CA 93772